Latest Posts

Bee Stings Can Be Deadly

July 31, 2017 | Filed under: Uncategorized — Trumann Staff @ 2:42 pm

Pet Talk

By Dr. Norette L. Underwood


Bee Stings Can Be Deadly!


An angry bee, wasp or hornet can be a danger to your pet.  Rambunctious pets often chase, snap at flying insects, or dig up nests.  The result can be a sting on the nose, paw, or inside the mouth.


These stings can cause localized pain, swelling and mild redness to the site of the sting. Depending on the location of the sting and how many times your pet is stung, the effect can be mild, serious life threatening and even death.




When your pet is stung, he will likely yelp, or begin whining. You may see them pawing at the stung area or trying to rub their head on the grass to relieve the pain.  They may start to drool. Within ten minutes, healthy pink gums can turn white or gray.


Sometimes, even if the site of the sting is not on the dog’s face, you pet can suffer dangerous swelling on the neck. This could lead to constriction of the airway, which can be life threating. Some dogs may have a delayed reaction several hours after the sting.


All stings should be treated as a potential emergency.  Have your veterinarians phone number handy. Always keep Benadryl on hand for any type of allergic reaction for your pet.


What Action to Take:


If you see your pet get stung by a bee, stay calm, and keep your dog still to slow the spread of the venom. If you know the area of the sting try to remove the stinger right away. Scrape the stinger away with a credit card. Do not use tweezers.  When you go to squeeze the stinger you may release more venom into your pet.


Immediately apply a cold wet washcloth to reduce pain and swelling.  Then call your veterinarian.


Help prevent insect stings by keeping wasp nests and flying insects under control.


If you have questions about venomous insect stings contact Dr. Norette L. Underwood of Trumann Animal Clinic and Best Friends Vet Mobile Service at

Leave a Reply